The purpose of the observation team meetings is to bring together the people who use observations in their research on a regular basis to discuss issues they’re having, provide updates on observations they’re analyzing or collecting, and any other information that may be of interest to the broader group. These meetings are also an excellent opportunity to integrate all of the many uses of observations in HRD’s capacity to improve the understanding and prediction of tropical cyclones.
Agenda for March 2016
1) Instrument/platform updates
– Dropsondes (Aberson)
– Doppler Wind Lidar (J. Zhang)
– Ocean Drifters (Lumpkin)
2) Field program planning updates
– Logistics updates
– Planned experiment and module submissions?
3) Spotlight talk: Kathryn Sellwood: “Bringing TC Observations into a Unified Framework using HEDAS Observation Processing Capability”
4) Spotlight talk: Jason Sippel and Sergio Abarca (NOAA/EMC): “A possible remedy for biased low-level wind profiles in HWRF”
The presentation from the meeting is available on the anonymous ftp site: ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/pub/hrd/blog/meetings/2016/Observations/ObsTeam-Mar2016.pptx