This year we will be observing the following anniversaries of events related to tropical cyclones and research efforts into them.
2011 5th anniversary
- Hurricane Irene brings great destruction to the Caribbean, Bahamas, and northeastern US and passes directly over New York City.
- Typhoon Washi kills over 1200 people across the Pacific.
- Hurricane Maria hits the Antilles and Newfoundland.
2006 10th anniversary
- Project AMMA examines the West African Monsoon and its influence on Atlantic tropical cyclone activity.
- Typhoon Billis kills 859 in Asia.
- Typhoon Saomai ravages Taiwan and China.
- Typhoon Durian kills 1500 people in the Philippines and Indochina.
2001 15th anniversary
- CAMEX-4 examines tropical convection associated with Atlantic hurricanes.
- Goldenberg et al is published in Science magazine showing the effects of ENSO on Atlantic tropical activity.
- Hurricane Michelle becomes the second costliest hurricane in Cuban history.
- Typhoon Vamei forms very near the Equator.
1996 20th anniversary
- NOGAPS and UKMET forecast models become operational.
- Mark Powell and Sam Houston publish two Hurricane Andrew papers in Weather and Forecasting
- Hurricanes Bertha and Fran strike North Carolina two months apart.
- Hurricane Cesar crosses Nicaragua and is renamed Douglas in the eastern Pacific.
- Hurricane Lili hits Cuba and the Bahamas
1991 25th anniversary
- Project TexMex examines tropical cyclone formation in the eastern Pacific
- The USAF’s 53rd WRS (Hurricane Hunters) are transferred to the Reserves.
- Typhoon Thelma kills thousands of people in the Philippines and Vietnam.
- Hurricane Bob strikes Long Island.
- Cyclone hits Bangladesh, killing ~140,000 people
1976 40th anniversary
- NOAA 42 begins service flying research missions into hurricanes.
1971 45th anniversary
- Rick Anthes produces first 3 dimensional hurricane model.
- Navy VW-1 Typhoon Trackers disbanded
- Hurricane Edith ravages Central America and gives NOAA DC-6 a good shaking.
- Hurricane Ginger travels a great distance back and forth over the Atlantic before becoming the last storm seeded as part of Project STORMFURY
1966 50th anniversary
- Hurricane Alma is one of the earliest Atlantic hurricanes to hit the US striking Tampa Bay.
- Hurricane Faith produces the longest Atlantic hurricane track on record.
- Hurricane Inez becomes a major hurricane in the Caribbean and is subject of multilevel study from RFF aircraft.
1961 55th anniversary
- The Research Flight Facility (RFF) is formed from the Aircraft Group of NHRP.
- Hurricane Carla is examined by RFF aircraft during its entire life cycle. Carla brings great destruction to Texas and launches Dan Rather’s national career.
- Hurricane Debbie affects the British Isles.
- Hurricane Esther is seeded leading to formation of Project STORMFURY.
- Hurricane Hattie strikes British Honduras, devastating Belize City, forcing the capital to move.
1956 60th anniversary
- National Hurricane Reasearch Project has its first field program.
- Jules Adem documents the Beta plane effect on hurricane motion.
- Herbert Riehl and William Haggard propose a simple numerical hurricane prediction method.
1951 65th anniversary
- Bob Simpson carries out a ‘piggyback’ mission on Typhoon Marge
- Hurricane Able becomes the strongest Atlantic hurricane recorded in May
1946 70th anniversary
- First Interdepartmental Hurricane Warning Conference is held.
- Both the Navy and Air Force formally organize Hurricane Hunter squadrons.
- Hurricane passes over Tampa.
1941 75th anniversary
- Major hurricanes hit Texas and Nicaragua
1936 80th anniversary
- A major hurricane brushes the Eastern Seaboard
1931 85th anniversary
- A major hurricane strikes British Honduras killing ~2500 people.
1926 90th anniversary
- The Great Miami Hurricane hits southern Florida.
- The Havana-Bermuda hurricane devastates Cuba
1921 95th anniversary
- The Tampa Bay Hurricane crosses over central Florida
- Sakuhei Fujiwara publishes his theory on the interactions of cyclones close to one another.
1916 100th anniversary
- A major hurricane hits Baffin Bay,Texas.
1906 110th anniversary
- The Mississippi Hurricane floods Lake Pontchatrain and kills 134 people
- Cuba establishes its government weather service, its Observatorio Nacional
1891 125th anniversary
- The Martinique Hurricane kills over 700 people
1886 130th anniversary
- The Indianola Hurricane wipes out the Texas town.
1881 135th anniversary
- A hurricane hits Georgia killing approx. 700 people
- Haiphong Typhoon hits Vietnam, killing ~300,000 people
1876 140th anniversary
- The Great Bakerganj Cyclone claims 200,000 lives in India.
- The San Felipe Hurricane (Primo) hits Puerto Rico and Cuba. Its damage is studied by Fr. Benito Vines to further his studies of tropical cyclones.
1871 145th anniversary
- The Kohala Cyclone hits Hawaii.
1856 160th anniversary
- Hurricane wipes out Last Island, Louisiana and kills over 200 people
1831 185th anniversary
- Redfield publishes his observations and concludes hurricane have a circular flow
- Cyclone hits Barisal, India and takes 22,000 lives.
1821 195th anniversary
- William Redfield crosses Connecticut after a hurricane and observes tree falls in different directions.
- The Cape May Hurricane strikes New Jersey.
1806 210th anniversary
- The Great Coastal Hurricane hits North Carolina and New England.
1791 225th anniversary
- A Cuban hurricane kills as many as 3000 people.
1776 240th anniversary
- The Point a Pitre Bay Hurricane kills more than 6000 people in Guadeloupe.
1281 735th anniversary
- A second attempted Mongol invasion of Japan is thwarted by a typhoon, ending further attempts.